Thursday, June 24, 2010

World Cup Again

We needed a win tonight. Two draws. After the initial "win" against England, we were all pumped up for an actual win. A real win. Vince and I both desperately wanted us to go through to the next round.

But the game! Ugh! Slow, painful....by the end we all just looked, to quote a favorite actress of mine, like "scared rabbits." The whole bar. So did the fans on the screen. Even Bill Clinton, who they showed several times. Just dead serious. As if every American, at home and abroad, was holding their breath. We don't care about soccer. But we do like to win.

And in the LAST four minutes! The last four! Overtime. We scored a goal, and I swear to God, the entire bar jumped straight into the air, laughing, cheering, out of relief and joy and I jumped up and hugged several people swinging my legs in the air. It was fantastic.

Am SO glad I stayed for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment